Sunday, December 7, 2014

DIY drawer organizer- with TP

The cardboard out of my toilet paper tubes calls out to me, "use me in a craft."  So I comply sticking them in a drawer with lots of other items that *should* be trashed or taken out with the recycling.

Then it came to me -like a flash. An answer to my messy drawers AND my hoarding habit.  Recycled drawer organizer!!






Make your own!  You will need:


  • Cardboard TP innards (which should have gone out with your recycling...go get them from your hall, nobody's watching)
  • A beautiful color of spray paint
  • Glue (Elmers, glue gun)
  • Scissors (I used regular and serrated)
  • Felt (I used a felted goodwill sweater)

My organizer is for my makeup drawer in my bathroom, so I cut my pieces of TP tube about 3 inches tall.  The height of yours depends on what you are organizing and your drawer.  Go ahead and cut all your pieces.  I made one side of each piece serrated and the other flat (flat side goes on the base)
I made 2 organizers, one with squares, one with circles.

Square Organizer, with 3 sizes:

To make the small squares, pinch the piece of tube together to create a 2 points, match up the points & pinch to make a square.

For the large size, cut the piece of tube long ways, bring the sides to meet, and flatten. (so you have one long side & 2 smaller tabs)  Do the same thing again with another tube.  Glue the small tabs together to make a larger square or use them for the small rectangles.

Place your squares in a pleasing design, then glue all of the squares together with whatever glue you have on hand (elmers works well)

Circle Organizer:

Fold 2 of the circle pieces into hexagons (fold in half, unfold, then fold in half again, unfold, then in half again).  Glue the hexagons together, and glue the circles around them.


For Both Organizers:

Place structure over felt & trace with a pin.  Cut out the felt piece.

Spray paint cardboard tube design, inside and out.  When it dries, glue cardboard to the felt with a glue gun.

AND YOU'RE DONE!!!  Now time to organize!



No comments:

Post a Comment